What does a smattering of great pop cherry-picked from the 80s, 90s and 00s have in common? Aside from being uniformly good to dance to and belt out after one too many vodka shots, these tracks form the basis of new compilation album Get Fit 2012 – and we like it a lot!
For starters, a compilation which includes contemporary pop princesses The Saturdays and Girls Aloud alongside absolute 80s classics like I Think We’re Alone Now and Yazz’s The Only Way Is Up is always going to be totally awesome. It’s pop thrills and spills at their most fun, stripped-bare level. Forget your ‘serious’ Mercury nominated art-pop and tears-on-the-pillow Adele balladry, on Get Fit 2012 it’s all about up-tempo and the most indelible of catchy hooks.
Some of the inclusions are obvious; Bodyrockers’ I Like The Way is probably destined to feature on the tracklisting of every cardio and Get Fit album from now until the end of time while a ‘danced-up’ What A Feeling seems precision-built to burn off those carbs to.
And then there’s stuff like Sonique’s Feels So Good which everyone’s probably forgotten about, but which still sounds, yes... So Good. The ‘I remember this!’ moments continue in the form of Daniel Bedingfield, with garage-tinged anthem Gotta Get Thru This made everyone think he was passably cool, before he plunged headfirst into soppy ballad territory. Here though, it encapsulates everything that Get Fit 2012 is about – great commercial pop.
It also syncs brilliantly into Girls Aloud’s Jump – yes, it might be a cover, but for my money it still represents one of Girls Aloud’s most unashamedly fun moments. It’s everything a good night in (or out) should be about; letting loose and just kicking back with good company and good music. Oh, and it reminds me of Love Actually, which is mandatory viewing around this time of year.
The album comes with a fold-out poster booklet full of additional training tips – the album’s full tracklisting is as follows:
1. Taio Cruz – Dynamite -Radio Edit
2. Noisettes - Don't Upset TheRhythm (Go Baby Go) - Radio Edit
3. Bobby Brown - Two Can Play ThatGame - K Klassik Radio Mix
4. CeCe Peniston - Finally Album Version
5. Brothers In Rhythm - Such AGood Feeling - Radio Mix
6. Yazz, The Plastic Population -The Only Way Is Up
7. Sugababes - Hole In The Head - CleanRadio Edit
8. Bodyrockers - I Like The Way - RadioEdit
9. Pixie Lott Boys And Girls - AlbumVersion
10. The Hughes Corporation - WhatA Feeling - Radio Edit
11. Tiffany - I Think We're AloneNow - Album Version
12. The Saturdays - Just Can't GetEnough - Radio Mix
13. Sonique - It Feels So Good - RadioEdit
14. Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta GetThru This - Radio Edit
15. Girls Aloud Jump
16. Donna Summer - She Works HardFor The Money – Edited Single Version
17. Michael Sembello - Maniac
18. Lighthouse Family –Lifted